Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A budget disaster

You know, I HATE budgeting. Ever since Tony lost his job, we have had a really strict budget. So difficult. I absolutely hate being restricted in any way and when it comes to finances, ugh. No thank you. Well, this week has been tough. We overdrew the account again due to my stupid mathematical error and Duckett Creek still wants to get paid. Does it ever end?? We are anxiously awaiting Tony's 401k check to arrive so that we can get the account out of negativity, and pay duckett creek. He is getting ready to start a Dungeons and Dragons game that he is going to be game master at and he needs to get a couple of things. I really wish life wasn't so expensive. I totally can't tell him not to do his D&D game...after all, he supports my beading and scrapbooking hobbies. But still, I really hope he can get a new job soon. He put in a few applications today but they are for jobs that he really doesn't want. I think right now he needs to focus on getting something that 1. will help pay the bills but 2. something that he can sink his teeth into and enjoy for a while...not something that will suffice for now. Oh well...he will do what he feels is best. He's a good man and wants to be able to support his family and do the right thing and pay his child support. I can't believe we still have forever and a day to pay on that...sometimes it feels like it is never going to end.



Oh well...let's talk food now that I have vented. So I went on a cooking rampage yesterday. I had so much fun cooking all day. I even cleaned up my own mess!!! So proud. So lets see...what did I make...Oh yeah...mexican dip. This is so tasty! Here's the recipe:



Tiffany's Mexican Dip:

1 can black beans, drained

1 can rotel tomatoes

1lb ground beef

1lb sausage

1/4 block velveeta cheese, i like the mexican flavor

1 block (8 oz) monteray jack cheese



Directions:

Brown sausage and ground beef together. Add all the other ingredients...stirring constantly so it doesn't burn.



Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy! Such a simple, yet tasty treat.



I also made a mac and cheese that isn't worth sharing the recipe. It was gross. OH!!! I made my own tortilla chips...well, i used flour tortillas instead of corn but they are fabulous! I will definitely do that again. It was so easy I have no idea why i haven't done it before. All you do is cut your tortillas in triagles...I used the smaller tortillas and just cute them with my kitchen shears, and fry them. Add a little salt after they came out of the oil and yummy!!! Loved it and it's a great way to used some older tortilla shells!



HHHMMM...what else did I make yesterday...Oh, my cookie bars...totally yummy! Here's how to make them:


Cookie Bars

1 cup butterscotch chips

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 can sweeten condensced milk

1/2 c butter, melted

1 1/2 c graham crackers, crushed



Melt the butter in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Add crushed graham crackers and spread evenly over the bottom of the dish. Evenly spread the sweeten condensced milk over the graham cracker crumbs. Add butterscotch and chocolate chips to pan and press down firmly...covering everything. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Wait a few minutes until cool. Serve and enjoy!



I love making things that are easy and not very time consuming. These things that I made are exactly that...easy. Before I go, I wanted to give you one more thing to try. We discovered this by accident...totally a mistake. I'll tell you the story behind them!



Tony and I wanted to make ravioli...homemade...because we are poor. We went to an Italian market on the Hill in st. louis. I had a brilliant idea of getting pasta dough already made and frozen and turning them into raviolis...well, that doesn't work that way. Before I go any further, we also got some precooked hot italian sausage for pizza at Di Greggorio's. So anyway, we were going to make raviolis and it turns out that the dough we had wasn't going to work. So here's what my mom and my husband came up with after i stomped out of the room...totally like a child. It was really awesome.

Italian Burrito:

1lb frozen pasta dough (Di Greggorio's is awesome!)
2lb precooked hot italian sausage (again, from Di Greggorio's)
1 egg, lightly scrambled

Directions:
Heat sausage in pan and then spread about 1/4 c on a defrosted sheet of pasta dough. Wrap like you would an open ended burrito and brush with egg. Place in ungreased cookie sheet. Cook at 350 degrees for about 20 min or until lightly browned and crispy. Enjoy!

Now, to save face, I have to tell you. It had been almost 24 hours since I had slept and the messed up ravioli was just about all I could take. Hope you enjoy the recipes. Let me know if you try any of them and let me know what you think!

Bye for now!

No comments: