Saturday, February 27, 2010

What a week!

And what a week it has been!!

Tony had that job interview and it's not what we need. He's interested in maybe doing it part time but it's definitely not a full time position for him. And it's straight commission. We definitely don't need that right now. But, we do have some great news this week!!

HE HAS A JOB INTERVIEW AT BARNES!!!

YAY!!! I am so excited for him. It's definitely not a glamour position but it's a way to get his foot in the door to something else...AAANNNDDD...they offer tuition reimbursement and he really wants to go to school! That's just fine by me. He is more than welcome to go to school and continue his education! I am very proud of him and all that he is doing to try and better our situation! Go on honey!! I'm rootin for ya! The only thing that I'm worried about is he has to have a checking account when you work for barnes, and he can't have one really because they will put a freeze on his account...and that can't happen. I wonder how we can get away from that! I might have to look into that and then talk to payroll next week to see what we can do! Wish us luck and please pray for us!

So I haven't posted a recipe in a long time. I haven't been feeling really good lately and so I haven't been cooking much and what I have been making, really doesn't need to be shared!!! BUT...I did find a recipe that I am dying to try and will make it this week on Monday. At least, that is my goal. I believe I will share it with you now and then let you know how it is. It's in March's Everyday with Rachel Ray. I hope you enjoy it. It looks fabulous!

Special Sausage and Kale Soup

Ingredients:

4 cups Chicken stock
1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
2 Tbls extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 lb bulk sweet Italian Sausage (I used Salcissia sausage from Di Greggorio's)
1 lg onion, quartered lengthwise and then thinly sliced crosswise
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5-6 cups packed sliced caolo nero (also called tuscan kale, dinosaur kale or lacinato kale)
Salt and Pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg (I don't like nutmeg so I am going to leave it out)
1 c mini penne or mezzi rigatoni pasta
1 15oz can white or cannellini beans, rinsed
freshly grated pecorino-romano cheese
ciabatta bread, for mopping

Directions:

1. In a medium saucepan, combine the chicken stock and porcinis. Simmer until the porcinis are tender, 8-10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a soup pot, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat until hot. Crumble in the sausage, then add the onion and garlic and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the kale and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

3. Remove the porcinis from the stock and chop; stir into the soup. Stir in the stock and 2 cups of water, covber and bring to a boil. Add the pasta to the soup and cook until al dente, 6-7 minutes. Stir in the beans and heat through. Serve in shallow bowls with lots of cheese on top and the bread for mopping!

Sounds so yummy right!! I can't wait to try this. I have a similiar recipe that I found on allrecipes.com. It's Sicillian Sausage Soup.

I hope you like it. I can't wait to try this version! I just might try to make both at the same time and see which one I like best! I'll let you know the verdict!

Have a great weekend!!

No comments: